Fork me on GitHub

Sunday, July 24, 2016

I did the thing.

Hackathons rarely happen at UCT and it has been at the back of my mind to organise one for a long time. Then two months ago this happened.


I organised the WICS(Women In Computer Science Society ) hackathon which happened yesterday and of course a lot of planning had to be done.This includes securing sponsorship, mentors, a venue, catering services, name tags and even more difficult, getting students to sign up.  Each had its own difficulties but it was worth it. I'm grateful for the support from my fellow committee members , Amazon CapeTown , Facebook and Google Developer Group CapeTown.







Seven teams competed by hacking solutions to their community problems. Their ideas greatly impressed the judges from Amazon. Solutions included apps to improve health, safety, security among many others. Students all the way from first years to final years were able to produce working prototypes in just about 8 hours. Winners walked away with exclusive swag feeling confident in their Computer Science skills. Considering that each team had at least one female member, I think our mission was accomplished.  I'm proud to have been made it happen.


Many participants commented that they were keen for more events like this. I might have found my life's purpose ..;). Jokes aside, it was a fun filled Saturday. Have a great week ahead!

Event pictures: https://www.facebook.com/Women.CS/photos/tab=album&album_id=1161941890495506
More event info: http://wcs.cs.uct.ac.za/index.php/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment